Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Saipan CREWS station offline

[This is an edited version of an announcement I sent out on Monday, October 3rd.]

As of this writing the Saipan CREWS station is offline.

The last successful data download from the station took place at 19:10 UTC on October 2nd. To put this into perspective, this was 9am Sunday in Honolulu, 3pm Sunday in Miami, 7pm Sunday Universal, and 5 am Monday in Saipan. As I write this message it was just over 25 hours ago.

When I realized, the first thing I tried was to connect to the modem. I tried connecting with the Airlink software and by telnet, from AOML servers and from machines outside our firewall. I cannot reach the modem.

[This was followed by a request to the Saipan folks to verify that the station was still physically intact (it was) and for our PacIOOS collaborator in Honolulu to verify that he was similarly unable to connect to the modem (he was) and to begin the process of troubleshooting the cellular modem failure (a process to be described in forthcoming blog posts).]