Tuesday, April 3, 2012

And its ON:

On the Morning of March 19th Three MMT members (John Iguel, Ryan Okano & I) loaded up CRM’s small zodiac with The Laolao Bay Pylon Stations “brain”. With only a short timeframe to work, due to tidal constraints, we hurried out to the bay, pushed our small boat over the reef and headed for the station.

Once at the station everything seemed to go according to plan. I geared up and climbed to the top of the station. After months of reading through extraction and installation instructions provided by Mike J, I had clearly developed a system for keeping track of the wiring. After about ten minutes of set-up I signaled Ryan to send up the Brain. Once the Brain was at the top of the station all my focus was set on its installation, which to my surprise went by very quickly. Upon switching the brain “On” I was excited to see that all its components were lighting up and blinking normally.

Back on the boat, with my laptop out, we checked to see if the brain was working properly. Although everything seemed to be working more diagnostics are still very much needed. I felt a great sense of pride upon reinstalling the Brain, and I am so grateful for all the help from NOAA AOML, PACIOOS and the MMT. Special thanks to Mike J., and Mike S. from NOAA AOML.