Thursday, May 31, 2012

outage for more than two weeks, Docomo unresponsive

[On May 12th, 2012, the cellular modem went offline again.  This is an email I sent out on Monday, May 14th:]
This morning I noticed that it's offline again.  The modem's been unreachable since Saturday afternoon UTC (that's Saturday night Saipan time, Saturday morning Miami time, and early in the morning Saturday Honolulu time).
[This time, Ross had a lot of difficulty getting the attention of the Docomo people.  This is from his email on May 14th:]
I did in fact notice the outage. I just sent a note to Docomo to check.
[And then on May 21st:]
The modem is still unreachable and I have received no response from Docomo from my 5/14 email. I just emailed them again today.
[And finally, success, on Tuesday, May 29th:]
My request to Domoco finally came through (after a third email). The modem is back online now. It is still unclear why the modem connection keeps dropping. The only known way to remotely reset it is through Docomo. I'll continue keeping tabs on the network status.
[Later Ross speculated about the reason why Docomo took so long to respond to his May 14th message.  This is from an email dated May 30th:]
My impression of the Docomo situation is that we were put on the back-burner. My email yesterday contained a bit more pressure and that did the trick. Also, the account manager (Kevin McCale) was on leave for a couple weeks and the technician (Luigi Onglao) cc'd responded to him, but not me. Luigi thought that Kevin had responded. Just a miscommunication. They are both usually good about responding promptly.
[However, the modem connection continues to be spotty and error-prone following this reset until about June 22nd (for details, see later blog entry timestamped June 22nd).]

Mike J+