Tuesday, October 2, 2012

station equipment reaches Miami

Following the last blog update on September 5th (which mentioned how the station had been completely offline since August 24th), the station resumed its brief sunlit periods of activity for a few hours a day until September 19th.  The last coherent report from the PacIOOS CTD, however, occurred on September 10th.

I'm not sure of the details of timing and personnel, but I believe David Benavente and Steven Johnson were involved in an operation on September 27th, 2012, to retrieve all of the station underwater sensors and cables as well as the "brain" package.  These, along with the "groundtruth" CT, were packed up and shipped to AOML in Miami on September 28th.  The shipment arrived here on October 1st, 2012.

David Benavente had made the following observation about removing the instruments from the station:
So just thought you should know. While I was attempting to shut down the PACIOOS Seabird I removed the male/female plugs to connect it to the serial port. I noticed that one of the copper nodes on the male side had corroded off. Im not sure if its the ground wire, but I thought I should let you know. I decided to remove the batteries from the PACIOOS CTD so that it cannot continue to collect data.
Mike Shoemaker will be leading the effort to diagnose the power losses that have plagued the station in the past few months.

Mike J+